You might to notice some changes in your vision as you get older. While many people might ignore those changes at first, there might come a point when we all must recognize that our vision just isn’t the same anymore. When that day comes, visit us Elio’s Optical in Miami, FL, for a thorough eye exam and access to a selection of designer eyeglasses. If you’ve already checked the vision exam off your to-do list, we can fill your prescription with eyeglasses and contacts that may help restore your eyes to the vision you enjoyed in your youth.
Why Do You Need an Eye Exam as You Age?
It may seem like your vision is suddenly headed downhill, but changes occur gradually over the years. You may have some early warning signs like squinting to read road signs in the distance, eye strain while working on a computer, or difficulty seeing clearly after dark. Eventually, you may encounter some vision changes that you just can’t ignore, including:
- Inability to see close-up clearly
- Difficulty separating similar colors (pink and red, navy blue and black, etc.)
- Eye strain adjusting to changes in lighting
Your eyes are also at greater risk for disease as they age. Even if you’ve enjoyed perfect vision throughout your life, the aging process can bring conditions and diseases that impact your vision as well as overall health and well-being. Routine optometry care can help identify problems as early as possible.
Tips for Healthy Aging
The things you do to protect your eyes at all stages of the aging process are similar to what you may do to protect any part of your body from disease. It may come down to some basic daily habits that might impact all areas of health, including your eyes:
- Diet: Choose nutrient-dense foods that nourish your organs and keep your immune system strong.
- Eye Protection: Wearing sunglasses can protect your eyes from damaging sunlight exposure. You may need other types of protective gear, depending on your lifestyle and job.
- Smoking: Cigarette smoking may damage your bodily systems, including your eyes.
- Exercise: Routine exercise can protect you from obesity, diabetes, and other conditions that have a negative impact on eye health and overall wellness. Focus on an active lifestyle with as much movement in your daily routine as possible.
In addition to maintaining the healthiest lifestyle possible, it can be important to receive routine eye exams. An optometrist on our team can pick up on potential signs of disease much earlier if you get your eyes examined regularly. Optometry can also help you correct subtle eye changes that come naturally as you age.
How to Check the Current Condition of Your Vision
If you’re looking for an optometrist and eye wear in the Miami, FL, area, contact us at Elio’s Optical today. We’ll put you on track to receiving a thorough vision exam followed by easy access to stylish eyewear. Call us at (305) 649-4011 for more information.